RARA-AVIS: Re: Hugh C. Rae / Robert Crawford?

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Oct 2008

    Juri,

    Re your question below:

    "Has anyone here read books by Scottish writer Hugh C. Rae who has also used pseudonym Robert Crawford?"

    He wrote two Scottish procedurals, Glasgow-set IIRC, both of which precede McIlvaney's LAIDLAW and its sequels, which means he should probably get more credit for starting the whole "Tartnoir" movement.

    One of Rae's two procedurals, THE SHOOTING GALLERY, was an Edgar nominee for Best Novel of '72, and is quite good. Indeed, though I agreed with the final choice, Warren Kiefer's spy-novel-cum-whodunit THE LINGALA CODE, THS SHOOTING GALLERY was certainly my second choice out of the five nominees.

    JIM DOHERTY