Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: NYC Pulp Book Show

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2008

    > Now, speaking of paperbacks, I have a Whittington gap. Which are the
    > essential ones? I know that Bill Crider is very fond of this writer
    > and I think I should read more by him. Only Bill could create a
    > funeral home owner who has a big library of original paperbacks and
    > talks about them at the slightest provocation. If I remember
    > correctly, said funeral type was named Ballinger. Mmmmm...

    I myself could never hope to read all of Whittington. I don't read his westerns, for example, but I have read a dozen or so of his books. The best ones are his GMs. Like Charles Williams, Jim Thompson and David Goodis, there are very few bad or even mediocre ones, which is impressive, considering his output. And, like the aforementioned authors, when he's good, he's really good.

    Jeff