RARA-AVIS: Re: NYC Pulp Book Show

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2008

    Ed, congratulations, you picked up a lot of winners, including the two Prathers and the Marlowe. Prather is ridiculously underappreciated. The fate of humorists... I think Twain complained about this. Consider that during Twain's lifetime they gave Nobel prizes to writers that basically suck! You have given me the impetus to reread some Prather. I am missing a few of his books. I should do something about that. With Marlowe have just picked up a few things I found, no thorough treatment. I have found him uneven, even unpredictable.

    Now, speaking of paperbacks, I have a Whittington gap. Which are the essential ones? I know that Bill Crider is very fond of this writer and I think I should read more by him. Only Bill could create a funeral home owner who has a big library of original paperbacks and talks about them at the slightest provocation. If I remember correctly, said funeral type was named Ballinger. Mmmmm...

    Best,

    mrt