RE: RARA-AVIS: Non Fiction about Crime Fiction

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 17 Oct 2008

    Ah, I love this kind of stuff.

    Here are a few recs:

    1). HARDBOILED AMERICA (suggested below) 2). SIN-A-RAMA, Sleaze Sex Paperbacks of the '60s 3). FINE ART OF MURDER 4). BIG BOOK OF NOIR 5). Lee Server's DANGER IS MY BUSINESS and OVER MY DEAD BODY 6). THE BLACK MASK BOYS, William F. Nolan

    I have more of that type of material, but the others tend to focus more on either pulps or the history of the paperback/publishing.

    I know there are a lot more of non-fiction looks at crime fiction, but I have found most focus on either straight mysteries or detective fiction. Books on noir and/or hardboiled tend to be tougher to find.

    Have you considered autobiographies? There are some great ones out there on Cornell Woolrich, Jim Thompson and James Cain (among others).

    Ron C.