RARA-AVIS: Long Haul by A I Bezzerides

From: Channing (filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 14 Oct 2008

    > "Bezzerides only wrote two novels, Thieves Highway being the other, and
    > was known more as a screenwriter of film noir classics.
    > "Is Thieves Highway crime fiction?"

    I would say that Thieves' Highway is definitely noir but not crime fiction. The protagonists are two truck drivers who are just trying to do their job when things fall apart, but they're not planning any crime. Crimes are committed, but that's definitely not the focus of the novel. It's more about the general lawlessness in the farming and hauling industry at the time and how the workers are kept down by The Man.

    --Channing