Re: RARA-AVIS: Derek Raymond

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 13 Oct 2008

    I totally agree with the high estimation of Raymond's Factory series, a trilogy that expanded to five books. I'm kind of anal about reading series in order, so take my comments with a grain of salt, but I think the Factory series should be read in order, as certain aspects of the narrator's life are revealed.

    And Steve wrote:

    "There are also recordings of him reading with members of Gallon Drunk rock group doing the music ..available on Netflix (I got it about 6 months ago)"

    The above is an abridged version of I Was Dora Suarez. There are two other recordings of Raymond reading that I'm aware of:

    He read from He Died with His Eyes Open at "Disobey," a series of performances, mostly music, hosted by the British label Blast First. It was recorded just a few days before he died. It was released on Search
    & Destroy, a double 10" record (yes, record) put out by the shortlived Purr magazine and Blast First. A portion of it was used on a double CD called "3 Fingers and a Fumb," but it only uses a bit in a long musique concrete aural collage of many of those who appeared at Disobey. Both are long out of print, as far as I know.

    A CD of Raymond reading his short story Changeless Susan over music by the Clit Cops was bundled with the hardback edition of Rotor Nebel, a German translation of Raymond's last (non-Factory) book, Not Till the Red Fog Rises. Oh, Raymond reads in English, not German. Have no idea about the availability of this CD.

    Mark