RARA-AVIS: Re: Mosley

From: lorenzocoates (coatesl@bgsu.edu)
Date: 07 Oct 2008

    I had a couple of thoughts that I never got around to sharing. First, I think one of the great things about Mosley is the way he uses the femme fatale character. The femme fatale is always a shapeshifter, always hard to read, hard to be sure whose side she's on. I enjoy the way he uses that character to cross racial lines, whether it's Daphne in "Devil in a Blue Dress," or "The White Butterfly." It allows him to tap into the social milieu of the various eras he's setting his work in. I haven't read all of Mosley, but perhaps others can tell me whether that's a constant in his work.

    Second, I thought it was good in the movie of "Devil in a Blue Dress" that Daphne never actually has sex with Easy. If they wanted us to take the love story and passing for white seriously, she wouldn't do that. And I remember thinking when I read the book that there wasn't that much motivation for her to jump in the sack with Easy (unless perhaps he looked a lot like Denzel Washington). So even though she's got a great femme fatale line about her weapon of choice, I thought the movie was right to keep them apart.

    Last thought: I thought the movie of "Devil in a Blue Dress" had the coolest cars ever assembled on film. Am I wrong?

    Lawrence