RARA-AVIS: Re: Hard-Boiled Pynchon

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Oct 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark D. Nevins" <nevins_mark@...> wrote:

    > I wonder if Pynchon has been influenced by Chabon to some extent? THE
    > YIDDISH POLICEMAN'S UNION certain re-framed what a "literary" writer
    can "do" with
    > the hard-boiled or procedural genre. (Though at the same time it was
    clear that Chabon was not "ironically appropriating" pulp literature with this book--he seems to really love and appreciate popular culture.)

    > I quite enjoyed YIDDISH POLICEMAN'S UNION, and even found it moving;
    I don't recall much discussion of it on this List.

    For me, it was a disappointment. If I may make an asinine comparison: why would I listen to "easy listening" when I can listen to real jazz? I like Chabon well enough, he's a good writer with an interesting world, but the idea that he is breaking new ground in crime fiction strikes me as dubious. I don't expect Pynchon to break new ground in crime fiction, either. That's being done by younger guys and gals who work in... crime fiction, several of whom are here.

    Best,

    mrt