RARA-AVIS: Re: Hardboiled Reading List 1988

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Sep 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <johnwilliams@...> wrote:
    > Anyone care to come up with a top ten of this year so far to counter
    > this depressing theory?

    John, that is indeed a Murderer's Row of classics. Ellroy in peak form, among the best Leonard books of the 80s, the high water mark for the Scudder series, Dave Robicheaux's debut, etc.

    Here's my top seven so far for 2008, a year that so far includes nothing new from Conelly, Mosley, Sallis, and a few other favorites. This is a pretty good list, though I agree it lacks the excitement that some of those from '88 generated.

    The Dawn Patrol – Don Winslow The Ancient Rain – Domenic Stansberry The Turnaround – George Pelecanos The Cross – Ken Bruen (2008 U.S. release) Lush Life – Richard Price Empty Ever After – Reed Farrel Coleman Master of the Delta - Thomas H. Cook