RARA-AVIS: Recently: Winslow & Stansberry

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 25 Sep 2008

    I've come across a couple good ones lately worth sharing.

    THE DAWN PATROL by Don Winslow: Winslow's THE POWER OF THE DOG was my favorite book of 2005 and I've tried to read as much by him as possible since then. THE POWER OF THE DOG was so big and ambitious that I expected the next one from Winslow (THE WINTER OF FRANKIE MACHINE) to be scaled back a bit, but its canvas is just about as broad.

    With THE DAWN PATROL, Winslow does scale back a bit, using the San Diego surf community as a great backdrop for a somewhat skewed take on a P.I. story.

    One of my favorite elements of any Winslow book is the way he tells stories throughout the book about the various characters that pop up, and THE DAWN PATROL offers this abundantly.

    THE ANCIENT RAIN by Domenic Stansberry: I loved this one. Very dark and sinister. This is book three in the Dante Mancuso P.I. series, yet it reads like a standalone. I thought the political angle to this one enhanced the book by offering no quarter to any side of the political spectrum.

    On deck: LEATHER MAIDEN by Joe R. Lansdale and also looking forward to the latest from Connelly and Lehane next month.