RARA-AVIS: great opening lines

From: baxdeal (BaxDeal@aol.com)
Date: 19 Sep 2008

    On Sep 19, 2008, at 8:51:50 AM, "Richard Moore" <moorich@aol.com> wrote: Crumley introduced the dog in one of the great opening lines in detective fiction: "When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon."

    speaking of great opening lines, this is from T. Jefferson Parker's STORM RUNNERS, which I'm currently reading:

    "Stromsoe was in high school when he met the boy who would someday murder his wife and son."

    John Lau