Re: RARA-AVIS: James Crumley RIP

From: RG Naylor (rgnaylor@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Sep 2008

    I'm new to the group.  Been lurking for months.  Here's today's article/obit in the Misssoulian:
      http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2008/09/18/news/local/news02.txt
      Local author James Crumley dies at 68 By the Missoulian

    Missoula author James Crumley, 68, died Wednesday afternoon at St. Patrick Hospital after many years of health complications.

    When he died, Crumley was surrounded by family and friends, including his wife, Martha Elizabeth, and Missoula author and county emergency services director Bob Reid.

    “We were friends in the fullest sense,” Reid said. “I admired him for many things. He always kind of had this off-kilter way of looking at things - different than what you would imagine. He had a real hard-nosed exterior, yet at the same time he was patient and understanding of many different things and many different people.”

    Missoula author Neil McMahon said of Crumley: “A huge man in terms of his heart and soul. He influenced me greatly and many others. He has a tremendous fan base and admirers all over the world.”

    Crumley has published 11 novels, taught at universities across the country and worked in Hollywood for several years. Famous for his hard-boiled mysteries, his works include “One to Count Cadence,” (a novel about Vietnam) “The Last Good Kiss,” “The Wrong Case,” “The Mexican Tree Duck,” “Bordersnakes,” “The Final Country,” and most recently, “The Right Madness.” >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      make that "books in a desk drawer." Can't type too well through the tears ...

    John Armstrong wrote:

    > Shit -
    > What does 68 reckon out to in Crumley years? Must be several hundred,
    > from all accounts.
    > I hope he left some book in a desk drawer
    >
    > JAA
    >
    > Brian Lindenmuth wrote:
    > >
    > > I just wanted to let everyone know that Robert Ward sent me an email
    > > around midnight (EST) informing me that James Crumley has died. He
    > > was 68 years old. Bob didn't have any more info but I'm sure more
    > > will come out today.

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: