Re: RARA-AVIS: Rare Books Continued - Behold This Woman

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2008

    I had the same take as you for the first third of the book or so. Goodis spends the good part of a chapter describing how Clara trys to match her mood to a color for the day and then proceeds to explain how she works that color into her day from bath soap and towels to her clothing. I couldn't see how it served the narrative other than to show how self-indulgent a person she was.

    Even half way through the book I was wondering if it was even a crime novel. But with the introduction of the character of Clard (only one character different from Clara--interesting) fairly late in the novel, the story started to fascinate me. Goodis teases you with this mysterious character until the very end.

    Jeff