Re: RARA-AVIS: Rare Books Continued - Behold This Woman

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 17 Sep 2008

    Interesting to hear such a positive response, Jeff. I had the opposite reaction. It's the only one of Goodis's books I struggled to finish. Possibly because his career-long technique of associating characters with colours is so invasive. At one point a character is described as having 'a yellow day' (I think it's yellow). Colour coding is an effective technique when done well (as in a great scene in Night Squad where the protag is conflicted about which tie to wear, one green and the other yellow, the colours having been set up throughout to represent the two women in his life), but it cripples the narrative here. Check any random couple of pages and I bet you find a colour reference. The melodrama in Behold This Woman may be a good one, I couldn't say. I find it hard to believe in the big picture when the details don't work. But maybe I'm just having a yellow day.

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:12 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Rare Books Continued - Behold This Woman