Re: RARA-AVIS: John Harvey and British police procedurals

From: John Williams (johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 16 Sep 2008

    Stephen Burridge wrote:

    > My paperback copy of "Lonely Hearts" has blurbs saying "John Harvey's
    > Resnick novels are far and away the finest British police procedurals yet
    > written - GQ" .

    I suspect I was the GQ hack who wrote that, and I think I still believe it to be true, even if it has a slight ring of damning with faint praise
    (and as I don't really think of the Derek Raymond books as police procedurals). I do remember that what drew me to Lonely Hearts in the first instance was a blurb from George V. Higgins, a man who rarely blurbed. Long before the Resnick books, back in the '70s, Harvey wrote a series of London-set PI novels which he disowns these days, but I remember quite enjoying the one I read - any one else read them?

    John