Re: RARA-AVIS: John Harvey and British police procedurals

From: Stewart Wilson (stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2008

    > Are you implying his are better than Rankin's up in Scotland? If so,
    > that's strong praise in my mind. I'm a fan of Rankin's Rebus.

    That's exactly what I was implying. I am a huge Rebus fan, but the first few books were just OK (leading up to THE BLACK BOOK which was a big step forward for Rankin) and the last few to me (last three anyway) are less interesting because they seem too concerned with Scottish social issues (or economic issues, or self-governance issues) and are less about Rebus. I traveled to Edinburgh to visit just because of Rankin's books, and can't for the life of me remember where Harvey's are set, but for sheer sustained quality I give it to Harvey.

    Stewart