Re: RARA-AVIS: John Harvey and British police procedurals

From: Stephen Burridge (stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2008

    I read a later novel in the Resnick series and was impressed enough that I decided to read them all in order. So far I've just read the first, which is "Lonely Hearts". I haven't read nearly enough British police procedurals to rank Harvey against all the others, but I personally put him up there with Robinson and Rankin, two other high profile authors I enjoy. My paperback copy of "Lonely Hearts" has blurbs saying "John Harvey's Resnick novels are far and away the finest British police procedurals yet written - GQ" and "John Harvey's Inspector Charlie Resnick sequence has set the benchmark for the British police procedural - Val McDermid" for what it's worth.

    Stephen