RARA-AVIS: Re: Good pulp anthologies?

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Sep 2008

    A recent anthology I picked up is The Mammoth Book of Movie Detectives and Screen Crimes, edited by Peter Haining. A mixed bag, but it does include Woolrich's It Had to Be Murder (aka Rear Window) and a few other interesting items. I found it infuriating that the documentation does not explain where the stuff really came from, whether the Little Caesar "story" is a excerpt from the novel or a sketch for the movie script or what, and the same for various stories that were made into movies. I paid 50 cents for this at a yard sale, but had I paid full price I would not be so happy. If I see the names Penzler, Gorman, Greenberg, Weinberg or Pronzini on an anthology, I usually buy it sight unseen. Not so with Haining. I don't like sloppy jobs.

    Best

    mrt