RARA-AVIS: Was Walter Mosley and bad-ass sidekicks now Bubba

From: Brian Lindenmuth (blindenmuth@gmail.com)
Date: 03 Sep 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

    > Don't forget the most flagrant example of this: Bubba in the Patrick
    Kenzie series by Dennis Lehane. In A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR Bubba was completely unbelievable to me. His dimensions have evolved a little in later books.

    > Patrick King

    Does there need to be a reconsideration of Patrick Kenzie? Given the violence and death that he doles out he could probably be someone's bad ass side kick. Or let's look at this another way -- Patrick, Angie, Bubba, Cheese, Kevin Hurilhey, Nelson, Phil, Danny & Iggy Twoomey ALL came from the same neighborhood and came up around the same time. This is as violent a group of characters that you are likely to find ANYWHERE in fiction.

    All I'm saying is that there was definitely something in the water.

    --Brian