Re: RARA-AVIS: 1974-David Peace

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2008

    --- On Mon, 9/1/08, Nathan Cain <IndieCrime@gmail.com> wrote:

    I'm in the middle of the first book of David Peace's 1974, and I've got a question. The Red Riding Quartet, of which 1974 is the first book, is billed as being set against the backdrop of the real life Yorkshire Ripper murders, so I did a little reading about that before I got too far into the book. So far, however, the events of 1974 seem entirely fictional, as they have to do with child murders and the ripper seems to have been a prostitute killer. I Googled the name Clare Kemplay, the little girl whose murder drives the book, and the only hits I got related to 1974, so I'm guessing at this point that this book is not based on a true case and the Ripper stuff comes in later in the series. Am I correct?

    I find it very difficult to follow the logic of Peace's plots. As far as I can see his books have no bearing on real history criminal or otherwise. I agree with his champions that he has a real gift with the English language. I don't think it translates as a gift for storytelling. That's my feeling about David Peace.

    Patrick King