RARA-AVIS: Re: Walter Mosley and bad-ass sidekicks

From: Duane Spurlock (duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Sep 2008

     "demack5@comcast.net" demack5@comcast.net infogirl2k wrote:

    << The Walter Mosley discussion has been great. Michael, do check out some
     of the more recent Easy Rawlins books. CINNAMON KISS and BLONDE FAITH
     both show how much Easy has changed over the years.

    I agree that Mouse appears to take great pleasure in killing, whereas
     Hawk seems to do it more out of necessity (though he doesn't exactly
     bust out cryin' about it afterward, either). Regardless, both characters
     represent sidekicks who end up doing the "dirty work" for the
     protagonist.

    I've noticed other authors using this device.

    James Lee Burke uses it in the Dave Robicheaux novels. At least he did in the first ones-- I haven't read any since THE CONFEDERATE DEAD IN THE WHITE MIST or something like that. Dave can do his share of thumpin', but the real crazy and deadly of the pair is Dave's former cop partner, whose name i can't recall at the moment.
    - Duane www.pulprack.com