Re: RARA-AVIS: Robert Edmon(d) Alter recommendations?

From: James Reasoner (jamesreasoner@flash.net)
Date: 31 Aug 2008

----- Original Message ----- From: <funkmasterj@runbox.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:58 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Robert Edmon(d) Alter recommendations?

>I finished reading the Black Lizard Anthology. Robert Edmond Alter's A
>Killer in the Dark was the most powerful story in either volume of the 2
>anthologies. I really can't remember another story where I could really
>feel the tension like the protagonist. I'd like to read more of his work,
>what do you recommend? I didn't see a collection of his short fiction out
>there.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jordan
>
> I am about to start Georges Simenon's American Omnibus.

I really liked that story, too, although I seem to remember seeing comments from some readers who weren't impressed with it. But it worked for me and was extremely suspenseful. I've read other short stories by Alter and thought they were good, but they didn't approach the level of "A Killer in the Dark". I haven't read any of his novels, but I'm going to.

Simenon is another author I intend to read more of. I've read some of the Maigret short stories and liked them. That old cliche about "too many books, not enough time" is sure true.

James Reasoner

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: