RARA-AVIS: Re: Walter Mosley

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Aug 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "gsp.schoo@..." <gsp.schoo@...> wrote:

    > It's just me, Mosley said not when I asked him, but I've always
    taken Mouse to be a side of Rawlins' character, a violent loss of control when sufficiently provoked. That's certainly how I read that
    "Why'd you leave him with me?" line. You can't control the outcome when you lose control. Ditto the scene done so effectively in the Devil in a Blue Dress movie, where a very drunken Mouse nearly shoots an equally impaired Easy at the kitchen table. Nothing much to do but wait for the impulse to pass.

    I don't see Mouse as prosthetic (as I do Spenser's sidekick Hawk), but Mouse does solve some problems, as well as adding spikes of violence into the mix. Easy is philosophical, he can talk to himself about stuff, Mouse apparently not. He's a practical man, an elemental man who does not believe in dialogue. He's similar in that to Clete Purcel, Dave Robicheaux's tough sidekick.

    Best

    mrt