Father Figure (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Positions still open)

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Aug 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, BaxDeal@... wrote:

    > I met him years ago at a signing for BLACK CHERRY BLUES and thought
    he was an
    > extremely charming gentleman. his prose style however is a bit
    florid for
    > my tastes
    >
    > I never finished BCB

    That may be my favorite Burke novel. You may want to try Burke's excellent short stories, which have been collected in two volumes. The most recent volume, Jesus Out To sea, is outstanding. I read it not long ago and praised it here. The prose is spare, the stories are moving and the writing is beautiful. The man can write, he can do without the sugar cane stalks and the dirty boogie and all that. Part of the problem is that in a long series, tropes get burned at a frightening rate. Especially weather tropes.

    Best

    mrt