RARA-AVIS: Re: Florida Writers

From: David L. Wilson (dwilson@sccn.net)
Date: 18 Aug 2008

    H'lo! When I suggested that Willeford was not a "Florida Writer" it was not to exclude him from a discussion centering on the state but to caution against using him as any kind of benchmark or norm. And in reply to another comment, Harry Whittington absolutely considered himself a "Florida Writer". He was a native, one of the few who was not a transplant from other regions. ... And for another angle, as loathe as I am to consider the concept, what would the group consider the "best" or most typical Florida novel. I think I've disqualified myself from suggesting Miami Blues.

    David Laurence Wilson Downieville, CA