Re: RARA-AVIS: Florida Writers

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 15 Aug 2008

    for me, FLA starts with the 60's boho macho musings of John D MacD; travels thru Dutch's sunbaked criminal thrillers, my favorite being CAT CHASER; takes a left turn thru delirium with Carl Hiaasen, my choice being SKIN TIGHT; and adds a journalistic bent with Edna Buchanan, who's great with an anecdote if not a story. then they start to blend a little: Laurence Shames is kind of Leonard-light mixed with Hiaasen quirk. James W. Hall has a bit of Hiaasen mixed with MacDonald. his series character Thorn could be Travis McGee's bastard child. both Hall and Shames have solid plotting skills and I'd consider them modern thriller writers. and then there's Professor Hall's former student Vicki, who sexes it up and makes you pay for your fun

    but the definitive voice of Florida crime fiction has to be Charles Willeford, with his off-center and incredibly pragmatic if amoral point of view

    John Lau

    ************** Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your budget? Read reviews on AOL Autos.