Re: Father Figure (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Positions still open)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 14 Aug 2008

    Patrick wrote:

    "The only reason for a detective to go to an AA meeting is to find a killer or find a witness to the killing. If the detective need to go to the meeting for his own purposes, the reader doesn't need to know about it."

    Couldn't disagree more. I depends upon how it's handled. For instance, in Block's Scudder books where the detective first grapples with his alcoholism, the AA meetings have little to do with the mystery, but everything to do with Scudder's character. That is when the series really elevated itself.

    This also reminded me that Scudder had a kid (kids?), but they were no long a part of his life.

    Mark