Re: Father Figure (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Positions still open)

From: Michael Jeter (michael.damian.jeter@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2008

    I´ve just gotten here, and you may lose all respect for me, but my knowledge of Mickey Spillane/Mike Hammer comes from the CBS tv series, not reading Spillane, but it was here I first noticed the pattern.(I also quite enjoy _Spenser for Hire_ with Robert Urich, Avery Brooks, and Barbara Stock. Haven´t seen Joe Mantegna yet. I know many will question my legitimacy and intelligence, but yes, when I read Spenser, I hear Robert Urich¶ voice. Let the tomatoes fly)

    A woman who loves Hammer, especially a woman Hammer literally touches, must die, and my dad used to say as we watched the show and saw Mike/Stacy Keach take a new girl, ¨Well, she´ll be dead by the end of the show.¨

    Of course, there were two women, his secretary Della, and the Lady in Red, whom Mike never would or could touch, who always lived. My former wife saw this treatment as misogynist, yet it does appear part and parcel of the genre, with some exceptions.

    Michael

    On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM, <DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
    > Michael wrote:
    >
    > "One thing that makes a person ¨hard - boiled¨ is hurt, pain,
    > lonliness -- the knowledge that the beautiful ¨dame¨ that hires you
    > wouldn´t have you, unless there was something really, really, wrong
    > with her."
    >
    > Which would certainly explain why that Nelson Algren line (from Walk on
    > the Wild Side) about never sleeping wih a woman with more problems than
    > you ownfloats around so much in hardboiled. Lew Archer says it in one
    > book, attributing it to a great man from Chicago, and James Crumley
    > attributes it to Lew Archer as the epigraph for The Wrong Case.
    >
    > Mark

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: