Re: RARA-AVIS: James O. Causey

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 09 Aug 2008

    > Causey wrote me in his later years and asked if I could help him get his
    > books back in print at Black Lizard. I liked his work, esp. The Baby Doll
    > Murders.
    > I was in the process of pitching him to Barry Gifford when the line was
    > sold
    > to Vintage Black Lizard. Their interest were mostly in Jim Thompson and
    > David
    > Goodis. Lesser lights had no room there. I much preferred Barry's list
    > with
    > Whittington and Dan Marlowe and Bill Pronzini and of course Peter Rabe
    > etc.

    Barry Gifford had intended to print The Baby Doll Murders and Frenzy but then sold out to Vintage. They were titles for which he had applied for and received ISBN numbers. The Wikipedia entry for Black Lizard has them, erroneously, as being published. Stanford also has files on them in their Gifford Collection.

    Jeff