RARA-AVIS: The Latest Criminal Trade Paperback

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 30 Jul 2008

    I just finished The Dead and the Dying, the latest collection of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Criminal. (It reprints the first three issues of volume 2, although why they decided to change the volume number, I don't know.It's the best one yet. Where the first two had long, story arcs. This one has three separate stories that all overlap. Each issue focuses on one character and events sometimes overlap at certain points, but it's a lot more complex than telling one story from three points-of-view. It's the sort of narrative that could only work well in a comic book, and that's why this one is my favorite. The first two story arcs were good stories that happened to be told in a comics format. This latest collection is a comic book story.

    The stories are all character driven, and raw, and the writing is even better than usual for the series. It's well worth your time to track down a copy.