Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Italo-noir

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jul 2008

    Lucarelli is published by City Lights in the US and Vintage in the UK.

    Carlotto is published by Europa Editions which is (I think) a US outfit that also distributes in the UK.

    Bitter Lemon, though, are putting out Carofiglio's books and a lot of other great Euro crime.

    ----- Original Message ---- From: davezeltserman <davezelt@rcn.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:01:51 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Italo-noir

    > Italy seems to be producing some of the best hardboiled/noir books
    around.

    > Carofiglio's 'The Past Is Another Country' is one of my favourite
    books of the year. Really captures the slippery thrill of crime.

    > Carlo Lucarelli's 'Almost Blue' is one I would recommend. With its
    obsession with sound and its colourful killer I would say it's the closest I have seen a book come to an Italian 'giallo' (movie, that is).
    > Currently reading 'Death's Dark Abyss' by Massimo Carlotto. Punchy.
    As. Hell.

    > What impresses me about all these writers is their pace and
    economy. They're all confident enough in their material to forego the
    (sometimes tedious) flourishes that more literary fiction indulges in.

    > Have a copy of Crimini myself. Haven't read it yet but look forward
    to comments.

    > Anyone have similar writers to recommend?
    >
    > Sean Shapiro
    >
    > _C

    Sean, both Massimo Carlotto and Carlo Lucarelli have strong stories in Crimini. I'll be looking for their books that you mentioned. I'm assuming Bitter Lemon published them?

    --Dave