Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Dark Night. No, the Noir Knight. No, the Black Knight. Oh, g

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 28 Jul 2008

    In a message dated 7/28/08 6:13:04 PM, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net writes:

    > And in that vein, I think Sin City was a whole lot of fun, just like the
    > books it was based on.  In fact, I like it for exactly the same reason
    > Kevin discounts it.  I like that it strips hardboiled/noir to its
    > essentials, reduces the genre to its essentials, just those essentials,
    > then pumps them up and plays with them, in the process telling us a
    > whole lot about those archetypes.  But this is no Propped up morphology,
    > no dry dissertation.  Most of all, the movie was just a whole lot of
    > fun.

    Sin City's biggest problem is one of narrative pacing. as it's 3 stories patched together, by leading with its strongest tale, it's downhill from there

    and homage or not, keeping women's heads as trophies on your wall, and forcing them to watch while you eat their amputated hands is a pretty noir idea

    John Lau

    ************** Get fantasy football with free live scoring. Sign up for FanHouse Fantasy Football today.