RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir comics (was: The Dark Knight, etc)

From: caroli1975 (karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 28 Jul 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Finn" <markfinn@...> wrote:

    > Hi Carrie:
    >
    > I loved O'Neil's Question series. Probably the best thing he wrote,
    > post-seventies Batman. Brilliant stuff, and wonderfully hard-boiled.

    It's one of my favorite series. And even though it seems you're sour on Rucka, I have to mention that he did some great Question stories of his own -- his "Huntress:Cry for Blood" uses the character to great effect, and recently he but out "The Question: Five Books of Blood" which deals with a new character to take on the Question identity.

    > I've unfortunately been driven from Batman (and most of DC) by the
    > editorial staff, the insistence on group-plotted projects, and a
    > bewildering foot-dragging tendency to stay mired in 1994's marketing
    > plan.
    > When the Brubaker stuff hits collected form, I'll give it a look.

    Being mostly a Marvel girl, I can't argue with that. Though Bru's DC work is over and done, and probably as collected as it's gonna get; I heard a rumor there's going to be a hardcover Gotham Central collection but I haven't seen it yet. I read the whole thing in trade paperback, though.

    > That Cap story he did was bloody brilliant. Yeah, Brubaker has the
    > chops. His stuff has guts, which is a nice change of pace from what we
    > are usually served.

    Are you reading 'Criminal,' then? It's probably some of the purest pulp/noir fiction out there now, with reliably interesting HB/noir discussion in the back matter.

    -Carrie