RARA-AVIS: Re: The Dark Night. No, the Noir Knight. No, the Black Knight. Oh, good night...

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...>
    > > That's too bad. Personally
    > > I found it one of the funnest, most innovative and visually boldest
    > > movies of 2005.
    >
    > Funny? Most of the humour was of the eyeball-rolling type. I'm not
    > even sure the humour was intentional, half the time.

    "funnest" not funniest.

    > The raves (not quite as widespread as you may imagine, by the way),
    > were mostly (and justifiably) for the hi-tech visuals, cinematic
    > silicone of the highest order, and not the storytelling.

    Here's a small assortment (yes, I'm bored right now--I finished a novel last week and am looking for any excuse not to start another one...)

    From Peter Travers, Rolling Stones:

    "Sin City is a hard, cold, relentless assault. It's also something Hollywood seems to have given up on: a bold, uncompromised vision."

    Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times:

    "It's a visualization of the pulp noir imagination, uncompromising and extreme. Yes, and brilliant."

    James Berardinelli, Reel Views:

    "Sin City is the most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen. While other directors have attempted to remain faithful to the look and "feel" of their source material, Robert Rodriguez has taken things a step further, by using Frank Miller's graphic novels as storyboards and immersing the audience neck-deep in the noir currents of Miller's den of iniquity. It's easy to get lost in Sin City. There's something to appreciate around every corner - the gritty characters, the uncompromising story, and, most of all, visuals to astound and amaze. "Eye candy" doesn't even begin to describe what Rodriguez has accomplished."