RARA-AVIS: DARK KNIGHT

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jul 2008

    Both Jim Doherty and KaraBair (caroli1975) suggest that Batman is improbable but not impossible.

    It is probable only in the realm of science fiction like IRON MAN. As for comparing Batman to Brian Garfield's Vigilante, Garfield's character is infinitely more probable than Batman.

    That being said, rather than have a knock 'em down and drag 'em out, I'll admit that THE DARK KNIGHT is noir. Gotham is screwed all the way.

    At least in BATMAN BEGINS, Bruce Wayne/Batman saves the entire population from terminal extinction by water supply.

    In TDN he punishes the punisher of organized crime and incidentally two important people and destroies much of the city in the process. But based on the structure and characters, and the limitations of the Gotham police, I don't suppose there was much else he could do--I do allow that the character of the leads could exist, along with BATMAN'S car and bike, but not the bat-wing flight suit, or the driving of a car across rooftops. (The last may have been in BATMAN BEGINS.)

    All that and I did enjoy both movies--all three if we cound IRONMAN, which I mentioned.

    Jack Bludis

    Lap Dance at: http://backalleywebzine.com/