RARA-AVIS: Re: TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jul 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT was on TCM again today.
    >
    > Every time I see it, I think how different it is from the original
    novel.

    > To me, it is one of Hemingway's best, truly noir in the novel form.
    There is nobody in literature more doomed than Harry Morgan.

    > The book is vastly different from the movie that was rewritten for
    the screen by William Faulkner and Jules Furthman. Furthman was involved in such screen plays as RIO BRAVO, NIGHTMARE ALLEY, THE BIG SLEEP, and MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.

    The movie is more charming, less dry, though. It works as a movie. I think Faulkner and Furthman did the right thing in creating the excellent dialogue, even as they deviated from the novel and even from the spirit of the novel.

    Best

    mrt