Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2008

    Reminds me of something ... Ellington, I think it was ... said about jazz when asked to give a definition: 'If you have to ask, you'll never know.'

    ----- Original Message ---- From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 2:45:02 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

    --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, Sean Shapiro <ssshapir@.. .> wrote:

    > What is noir? Says the OED: A genre of crime film or detective
    fiction characterized by cynicism,
    > sleaziness, fatalism, and moral ambiguity; film noir. Also: a film or
    > novel in this genre.
    >
    > Does that help? Didn't think so.

    People have presented many possible definitions, all of which have something going for them... it is easy to say when something is _not_ noir, just like you can tell immediately if something is _not_ jazz...

    Best,

    smt