RARA-AVIS: Re: Recent Reads (Benioff, Cook, Coleman, Spiegelman)

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2008

    Steve asked re: Thomas H. Cook
    > Sounds very tempting...can you tells us a bit more about him?...his
    > style...his topics...???

    I am happy to recommend Thomas H. Cook to anyone who enjoys the usual fare we discuss on this list. I consider many of his books as hardboiled and/or as noir as any number of writers we often discuss.

    A major theme throughout his work is regret, as he often tells stories from the point of view of of an older person in the present who is remembering a tragic event from the past.

    He wrote several true crime books and a detective series in the 80s, but I think he really hit his stride with EVIDENCE OF BLOOD in 1991. MORTAL MEMORY and THE CHATHAM SCHOOL AFFAIR are from that same era and are also favorites.

    Of his more recent work, RED LEAVES is probably my favorite.