RARA-AVIS: Re: Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2008

    Mario, this is where we diagree, and I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Not every book where the protagonist is fucked is noir. Not every tragedy is noir. I'll stick with my definition thatthere's a choice involved, a line that is crossed. Let's look at the following situation where a character has two choices, one which fucks him but is the morally right choice, the other saves him but is having him give into his worst instincts (betraying a loved one, etc.). A book written as a tragedy would have him getting fucked, a noir book could have him saving himself but leaving him psychically ruined.

    --Dave Z.

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"