Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2008

    To me the reader he's a hero.

    But if he existed in the 'real world' I'd be very suspicious of him--as I am of vigilantes in general.

    ----- Original Message ---- From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:51:53 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Super Heroes, Comics, and Noir

    --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, Sean Shapiro <ssshapir@.. .> wrote:

    > I like your definition of noir -- it's what gives your books their
    muscle.

    > Dressing up like an animal so you can get your rocks off beating
    criminals up is not exactly resisting your baser instincts. Especially when it gets a sidekick crippled and another killed.

    It depends on whether you believe in heroes. If you absolutely don't, then Batman takes on an entirely different meaning, I think, as do most westerns and quite a few PI stories. But can someone who disbelieves in heroes be a fan of Batman? Well, for one thing the guy is _different_, he does not follow convention. That's an attraction for me, anyway. That, and deconstructing the ideology behind the exploits. Dick Tracy is a very good one for that, too.

    Best,

    mrt