RARA-AVIS: Noir SH?

From: Steve Novak (Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 23 Jul 2008

    A few lingering thoughts to muddy up the waters...

    The post-modern bit was of course in good fun and a joke...

    It doesn't change the fact that Batman would never qualify as noir in many definitions/acceptions/interpretations of what noir is and in my case I strongly subscribe to that...

    Having a noir shot/sequence in a film/book...or a character with some 'noir' attributes, doesn't make the film/book/graphic novel fully noir...it's a whole set of consistent attributes/characteristics...throughout the piece that can help towards its 'qualification' as noir...

    Incidentally: I do not consider publication in a 'pulp' as 'entry' into the noir genre/mode/group...because if we said that we could/would say for example that all of the Série Noire is 'noir' or all the films written by....are noir or that all the films shot by such DP are noir...etc...etc...

    ....and last but not best...I would consider any super-hero as instantly disqualified from any 'noir' affiliation...just by the very premisse under which it exists...

    Montois