Re: glorifying violence (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard)

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 22 Jul 2008

    ----- Start Original Message ----- Sent: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:16:51 -0400 From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: glorifying violence (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard)

    > Jordan,
    >
    > Thanks for answering my question. With the exception of Natural Born
    > Killers (which, by the way, is extremely different from Tarantino's
    > screenplay, not that it's much better; the Belgian film Man Bites Dog
    > did the idea much better, as QT has also said) and From Dusk to Dawn, I
    > like the films you didn't, like all the films he directed himself (agree
    > he's the worst actor in the world, though). However, I can think of
    > other films that do strike me the way those did you (I tend to avoid
    > slasher films, for instance). So I think it may just be a matter of
    > different thresholds that separates us.
    >
    > I also agree that seeing it and reading about it can provoke very
    > different reactions. But again we disagree on the specifics. For
    > instance, I thought Caught Stealing was great, and often funny.
    > However, I stopped reading Rex Miller's Slob.
    >
    > Gotta ask, though: you said you watched Jackie Brown for Pam Grier. How
    > is its violence any more excessive than Foxy Brown, Coffy or Friday
    > Foster? Or than many other blaxploitation films?
    >
    > Still, this discussion intrigues me. For instance, is excessive
    > violence the same as glorified violence? Yes, Pesci's character in Good
    > Fellas was excessively violent, but glorification implies to me an
    > endorsement and I don't see Scorsese as endorsing Pesci's violence.

    First of all, let me say I'm not trying to make a debate. Feel free to disagree with my opinions.

    I do feel that Pesci's character in Good Fellas reveled in his sadism. However, I do realize the real mobster actually did those things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_DeSimone

    With Tarrantino, it's all fiction. I do feel there is a difference between the violence level in his movies as opposed to most Blaxploitation movies. Jackie Brown was Tarrantino's attempt to play nice.

    By the way, I thought about a few other series I dropped after the first book because I couldn't identify with the protagonists (not about violence at all): Easy Rawlins - Walter Mosley Joe Gregory - Ed Dee

    Jordan

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: