Re: glorifying violence (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard)

From: Stephen Burridge (stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Jul 2008

    This is one of the things that appeals to me most about noir literature: the relatively realistic portrayal of the effects of violence and criminality on the personality, with unfortunate or depraved people committing violent acts and then dealing with the consequences. Those who trace the roots of the genre to books like "Crime and Punishment" and "The Secret Agent" are clearly thinking the same way. I enjoy the more romantic and I would say unrealistic presentation of violence in other kinds of adventure stories as well, but it seems to me that noir fiction, at least some of it, has a more serious and realistic appreciation of what's involved in violence and criminal acts.

    Stephen