Re: glorifying violence (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 21 Jul 2008

    Jordan wrote:

    "Reservoir Dogs - found the violence really excessive, I disagree with your argument as I feel the fate of the characters doesn't diminish Tarrantino's glorification of violence"

    How, exactly, is the excessive violence glorified? I'm not trying to be dismissive. I'm really curious. As I said in my other response, this is a topic that really interests me, how we draw lines in regard to media violence (and indecency).

    Take the most excessive scene, the "Stuck in the Middle" scene. Definitely excessive (although we're actually just looing at a doorway for much of it), definitely disturbing. Mr White is one sadistic fuck, but is Tarantino glorifying this violence? I sense that you would say he is. Why? Because of the excessiveness of the display of violence? Do you see Tarantino as reveling in the sadism and revealing his own in wanting to make audiences squirm? Again, I'm not trying to be a smartass. I'm really curious how you define glorification. What distinguishes excessive and glorified, if anything? Are they simply synonyms or are they separate, though overlapping, concepts?

    Mark