RE: glorifying violence (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard)

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 20 Jul 2008

    Dave Z. wrote:
    > IMHO, Pulp Fiction is one of the best crime
    > movies, period.

    Agreed. And GOODFELLAS is right up there with it, albeit with perhaps a more mob-centic focus. I thought those were two great films, and I can't say I ever thought of either of them as "glorifying violence." They were violent, to be sure, but the characterizations (and the respective settings therein) were so strong that the use of violence by them (and/or to them), to me, felt appropriate and natural. It didn't feel like glorification; it felt organic to the film.

    Ron C.