Re: RARA-AVIS: Elmore Leonard (was: Re: LABRAVA)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 20 Jul 2008

    I got into Leonard when Split Images and City Primeval first came out in paper. I thought they were great. They were a crucial step in my moving beyond strictly PI to hardboiled/noir crime novels in general
    (had read some early Cain and the Parker series). Turned out that was a good time and a bad time to get into him. Bad because not much else of his was in print, but good because he was not yet very well known, so I was easily able to find his back catalog in used stores. Then I stuck with him, reading each new one as it came out. I thought his Detroit novels were best, followed by his early Miami ones.

    Slowly but surely I became less interested in his new books, reading them more out of habit than anything else. The last I read was Rum Punch, and that only because Jackie Brown was coming out soon. I bought another one or two after that, but then I stopped kidding myself that I was still interested in him, stopped buying him. But in his prime . . .

    Mark