RARA-AVIS: Re:Leonard movies

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, ABQBrewer@... wrote:

    > Hi all:
    >
    > Elmore Leonard's one of my heroes, but I've only met him once in
    person
    > (at Bcon in Denver). One of the things we talked about was the mixed
     success
    > of his books that have been made into movies. As I recall, he was
    pleased with
    > Get Shorty, Out of Sight and Jackie Brown. When I mentioned Mr.
    Majestyk, he
    > shook his head and said something like: "Charles Bronson couldn't
    say a line
    > right to save his life."

    Bronson was a limited actor, but the lines in Majestyk are not funny lines like many in those three relatively recent movies, which also had much larger budgets. It has been a while, but Bronson doesn't ruin Majestyk. The production is very seventies, but still adequate, by which I mean that the movie does not come across as ridiculous. It is watchable, perhaps because the story is a strong one and at the same time a very basic one (straight out of a classic Western).

    Best,

    mrt