RARA-AVIS: Re: After Dark, My Sweet

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <funkmasterj@...> wrote:

    > I just finished reading this yesterday, I really enjoyed it - I did
    not see that ending coming.

    > I am now reading Elmore Leonard's Moonshine War, recommended to me
    by Mario I believe. I also am soon to be reading LaBrava, which was recommended by Entertainment Weekly as the #40th best novel of the last 25 years. I've only read Unknown Man #69 and Maximum Bob so far, but I've seen a number of the movies based on his books: Get Shorty, Out of Sight, Big Bounce, and Jackie Brown.

    I love The Moonshine War. It may still be my favorite Leonard novel. My memory of LaBrava is that it was very good, an exciting read. There is an old movie of Mr. Majestyk, too, very seventies movie but the story is good and the movie watchable. They should remake it. Also, I think Split Images could be turned into a tight hardboiled film (pure hardboiled, no comedy).

    Best,

    smt