Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Pulp Poetry

From: John Williams (johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 16 Jul 2008

    Richard Moore wrote:

    > I'm rather fond of poetry that inhabits our corner of the world. One
    > of my favorite book of poetry that fits the HB/noir world is SHOOTING
    > RATS AT THE BIBB COUNTY DUMP by David Bottoms (William Morrow 1980).
    > Bibb County, Georgia includes Macon and in the 1970s when these poems
    > were written, it was a happening place with the Allman Brothers Band,
    > Capricorn Records, and a mayor named "Machine Gun" Ronnie Thompson.

    Thanks for reminding me of Timothy Bottoms. I read Easter Weekend years ago and liked it a lot. And now I've just ordered a copy of 'Shooting Rats'. Great stuff. A quick google found a useful bio here http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-483 Looks like he's teaching at GSU. Couldn't help wondering how many times the following has been replicated by fellow writers (and not just James Crumley) 'In 1986 Bottoms accepted a visiting appointment as Richard Hugo Poet-in-Residence at the University of Montana; a year later he and his wife divorced.'

    John