RARA-AVIS: Re: OT: Tuesday Weld

From: Dick Lochte (dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 14 Jul 2008

    All this talk about Tuesday Weld rekindled a 38-year-old memory of spending the afternoon with her. I was assigned an interview in conjunction with the about-to-be-released movie A Safe Place. The location was her suite at the Chateau Marmont, the historically noir Hollywood hotel where John Belushi gave it up. I was in the lobby, watching Christopher Walken talk with a guy who may have been his agent, when she rushed in, late. Looking great, of course. Heading up in a very tiny elevator, I noticed that an ad for the movie depicting her and Orson Welles, had been pasted on the door and that somebody had used a knife to cut out her eyes. When I pointed that out, she smiled and shook her head in a people-are-so-silly gesture. Her sitting room was filled with empty pizza boxes and open cans of diet cola and full ashtrays. She invited me to sit. Then, ever the hostess, asked if I wanted a cola. When I said yes, she picked up an almost empty glass from the coffee table and began filling it with the dregs from the open cans. For the next couple of hours, while that glass remained untouched much to her amusement, we talked of many things. As I recall, she said she knew Elvis. And Raymond Burr was an old friend. But there was no mention of Mick or the Stones or Ruby Tuesday. And, had there been a connection, I think it would have come up.

    Dick Lochte